Job Title: Architect Officer (Earthquake Response Operation)
Nos. 1 no
Department/Unit: Nepal Red Cross Society, Earthquake Response Operation (ERO)
Working Station: Head Office, Kathmandu
4. Outline of responsibilities and tasks
- Review of Architectural plans, Detail drawings of Infrastructure projects and advise ERO and IFRC Shelter and Construction Coordinators on the energy efficient and cost effective designs
- Participate in technical discussions with Consultants on design proposals as per NRCS requirement
- Periodic field visit as advised by ERO Shelter and Construction Coordinator to ensure that the construction is done according to Architectural plans and designs and specifications
- Assist Shelter and Construction Coordinators to develop quality monitoring mechanism and make periodic field visit to check quality of construction work.
- Check and ensure that the invoices for completed consultancy and construction work is according to contractual agreement.
- Prepare drawings for shelter as and when requested by District Chapter and on the advice of Shelter and Construction Coordinators.
- Site visits to support District Engineers and Architects to review owner driven houses and assist in getting approvals from DUDBC, Municipality and / or VDC
- Participate in preparation of tender documents, contractual agreements, Terms of Reference (ToR) and assist in tender evaluations and selection of Consultant and Contractors
- Participate in various meetings and workshop for skill development trainings on construction program, e.g. trainings of masons and carpenters PASSA etc and support and facilitate the trainings if required.
- Support the realization of practical trainings at VDC level with semi-skilled masons and carpenters based on the construction of demonstration buildings
- Identify proper location for erecting the demonstration buildings and walls in coordination with the Mobile Training Units, NRCS and the local authorities;
- Establish the list of all materials and tools required for realizing the different trainings
- Assist / advise in collecting or purchase of all necessary salvage materials available on site that could be used to erect the demonstration buildings and walls
- Participate on the monitoring, controlling and reporting of all trainings and construction activities, (e.g. construction progress, costs, schedule, construction quality and security etc.)
- Test with community members the key messages materials to verify that contents are adequate and well understood
- Provide ad-hock solution to overcome problem as they arise, keeping in mind the overall objectives of the project.
- Participate to discussion and provide recommendation to ERO/TSSU about project next steps.
- Provide technical guidance to NRCS volunteers and staff who will be implicated in the training program
- To conduct the training work structural, nonstructural and other related to the earthquake resistant/safer building construction techniques to targeted community.
- Undertake the responsibility for making a good relationship to all the technical institute, district technical offices with in a district to and national level.
- Reporting and documentation of works.
- Coordination and linkage with partner institutions.
- Undertake all other tasks as and when assigned by ERO Shelter and Construction Coordinator.